I’ve been really satisfied with my bats of late, and 3 of the 5 I have are off to new homes. Hooray for bats. I also recently had a commission for a frog, and I figured I’d share my process of making a custom plushie here. Fabric is a whole fun set of problems that I don’t deal with on a piece of paper.
I started with some references.
Essentially I made myself a couple “best of frogs” sheets to get ideas and think about what body features I really like. I did not realize until I did this just how much variability there are in frog eyes. Go amphibians!
From here I took a large piece of paper to quickly draft my pattern.
I draft by hand on paper and cut it out, and use that to trace onto fabric because fabric never plays nice to drawing on it directly, and when I want to figure out a problem later it’s easier to have a reference of what I cut out. It also means I can re-cut a piece if something happens to the fabric I cut, and heck, it means I could make another frog later if I wanted.
After making some test pieces I realized that my feet were FAR too small, so I had to redraft anything with toes.
I quickly sewed up a foot to make sure it worked, and it was much easier to turn inside out.
I poked around WhileSheNaps and found a great pointer in there for making eyes, and I decided to use that idea since this frog is destined for a child too small for button eyes.
This frog was momentarily confused and thought it was a snake. Once I got the mouth seated correctly I had fun stuffing things in it.
That’s better. Legs properly attached, toes ready and eyes all bulbous… the only trick here was I wanted to add irises.
Cut up some felt, sewed in the irises, and this not-so-little frog is all done. This amphibian is about a foot long and 16 inches wide. You could probably hide a remote in his mouth. I like how he looks I still might tweak the legs again. I have a few other fabrics around that might make for some fun frogs, so we’ll see if I have a few more this year for Somerville Open Studios.